KXT Program Director
KERA, the public broadcasting organization for Dallas/Fort Worth, is looking for a Program Director for KXT. Serving the country’s fifth-largest media market, KERA reaches more than 2 million people weekly through KERA TV, KERA News, KXT and Art&Seek. For more than 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a destination for community engagement and lifelong learning.
As we seek to recognize and reflect the increasing diversity among our audiences and the communities we serve, we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives to consider employment opportunities at KERA/KXT.
The Program Director is responsible for the overall sound and quality of KXT’s non-commercial Triple A music service on radio and digital platforms. This includes supervision of on-air hosts and music programming staff, ensuring the format is successfully implemented and audience-focused, and collaborating with other departments to help achieve audience, revenue, and organizational goals.
In keeping with KXT’s goal to be more than a radio station, this role will be one of the primary faces of KXT to the community; and will help create opportunities for audiences to deepen their connection to music and the arts – online, on the air and in neighborhoods throughout North Texas.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
· Use audience-centered thinking, research and data to program and set the overall sound and tone of KXT in a manner that deepens loyalty and engagement of existing listeners, attracts new audiences and increases station revenue.
· Oversee station’s music library and daily playlists in collaboration with KXT’s Music Director and APD
· Supervise on-air hosts and music programming staff, conduct airchecks and coaching, and ensure the format is always implemented successfully
· Host on-air programming and create social and digital content that engages audiences
· Create playlists, on-air features and digital content on an ongoing basis and for current events, holidays, and membership campaigns
· Collaborate with KERA’s arts team on North Texas music coverage for all platforms
· Represent KXT in the local music community, at music industry conferences and events
· Serve as a liaison with NPR Music, Vuhaus, record labels, artists, and content providers
· Work closely with audience development teams to develop, produce, and implement marketing efforts to grow, engage and diversify audiences
· Work closely with fundraising and corporate support teams to increase revenue for KXT, and participate in membership drives and other fundraising activities
· Oversee booking of station events, and collaborate with operations and production teams on in-studio performances and interviews
· Foster a collaborative and inclusive culture where ideas are encouraged at all levels by modelling and training others in inclusive leadership practices
· Other duties as assigned
We believe a strong organization includes employees from a range of backgrounds, with different skills, experiences, and passions. If you do not meet every qualification but have some of these skills and think you could be the right candidate for the job, we would like to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself.
· Significant experience as a leader in the Triple A music format
· Demonstrated ability to grow audience and increase revenue
· On-air experience, strong interviewing skills and a track record of developing talent
· Ability to create digital and social media content that engages audiences
· Effective managerial and organizational skills, and the ability to think creatively and proactively solve problems
· Ability to lead a team with diverse backgrounds and perspectives
· Demonstrated commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace
· Excellent writing and communication skills, and proven ability to collaborate with internal and external contacts and to consistently work well with a wide range of skilled and creative people
· Knowledge of FCC guidelines and requirements
· Demonstrated proficiency with technical and broadcast equipment
· Ability to learn new systems and procedures quickly
· Passion for and experience with public broadcasting
· Bachelor’s degree in media, fine arts, music, journalism or a related field
· Experience with MusicMaster, ENCO radio playback and automation systems, Adobe Audition, and Wheatstone digital audio control boards
· Knowledge of North Texas people, music, cultures, issues, and geography as well as national and international music
· Fluency in Spanish
$80,000 to $120,000, depending on experience.
KERA is partially operating remotely due to the pandemic. When we fully return to the office, we will continue to provide flexibility for our staff to work remotely if they so choose. We expect that this position will work in the office at least 80% of the time.
HOW TO APPLY: Complete the application on KERA’s employment page and attach a resume and cover letter.
KERA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
KERA believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.